Meet Maria Noël Groves
An Herbalist Nestled in New Hampshire’s Pine Forests
Maria Noel Groves, RH (AHG) is a clinical herbalist based in Allenstown, NH. She achieved certification through study with Michael Moore at the Southwest School of Botanical Medicine. She also completed Rosemary Gladstar's Science and Art of Herbology home study course, as well as Rosemary's advanced herbal program on site at Sage Mountain. Maria began her herbal studies with Nancy Phillips' Foundations Course at Heartsong Farm. Maria has nearly two decades of experience in herbs and is a registered professional member of the American Herbalists Guild. She opened her full-time practice in 2007. Before 2007, she worked under her maiden name, Maria Noel Mandile.
- Registered Herbalist & Professional Member, American Herbalists Guild, 2013 - Present
- Flower Essence Certification, Lichenwood Herbals, Christine Tolf, Barrington, NH, 2010
- Advanced Herbal Apprenticeship Program, Rosemary Gladstar & Guest Educators, East Barre, VT, 2005
- Southwest School of Botanical Medicine, Michael Moore, Bisbee, AZ, 2004
- Science & Art of Herbology Correspondence Course, Rosemary Gladstar, East Barre, VT, 2004
- Foundations in Herbal Healing, Nancy Phillips, Groveton, NH, 2003
- Studied medicinal plants & volunteered at an eco-park, Volunteer Peten, San Andres, Guatemala, 2002
1- to 5-hour courses taught at several locations including...
- Wintergreen Botanicals, Allenstown, NH
- American Herbalists Guild Symposium, National
- Herbal Academy, Online
- Maryland University of Integrative Health, Online
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, MA
- Mother Earth News Fair, National
- ArborVitae School of Traditional Herbalism, NYC
- Blue Ridge School of Herbal Medicine, NC
- Traditions in Western Medicine Conference, NM
- New England Women's Herbal Symposium, NH
- Nashua Community College, Nashua, NH
- Hospitals: Concord (primary educator), Exeter & Parkland (Derry) (guest speaker)
- Greenwood Herbals Advanced Program, Limerick, ME
- Canterbury Shaker Village, Canterbury, NH
- Massabesic Audubon Center, Auburn, NH
- Concord Food Co-op, Concord, NH
- Libraries: Moultonborough, Center Harbor, JV Fletcher...
- Garden Clubs: Merrimack, Bow, Bedford, Capital Area Organic, Milford, Amherst, Tyngsboro, Weare, Manchester, Nashua, NE Herb Society Chapter, Rockingham Herb Society...
- Montessori Schools in Concord, Auburn & Bedford
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of NH, Winter & Herb Conferences
- D Acres, Dorchester, NH, Cultivating Wellness Conference
- Concord Community Education, Concord, NH
- Great Bay Discovery Center, Greenland, NH
- Nashua Senior Activity Center, Nashua, NH
- The Herbiary, PA & NC
- Author of the best-selling, award-winning Body into Balance (2016), which is now used as a textbook in herb schools across the country
- Author of the forthcoming Grow Your Own Herbal Remedies (2019)
- Health Editor, Columnist & Contributor, Herb Quarterly magazine, 2008 - present
- Freelance Health Journalist, specializing in herb and natural health articles for Mother Earth News, Mother Earth Living, AromaCulture, Natural Health, Herbal Academy of New England, Tea Magazine, Herbs for Health, Herb Quarterly, Remedies, and Taste for Life magazines and The Associated Press, 2002-present
- TEAm Member & Contributor, Tea Magazine/thedailytea.com 2012 - 2014
- Blog & Herbal Web Content Contributor, Concord Co-op Buzz Blog & RemediesMagazine.com, 2012 - present
- Editor & Contributor of the Concord Food Co-op Natural Buzzz newsletter, 2008 - 2015
- Editor & Contributor of the NOFA-NH newsletter, 2010 - 2012
- Research Editor, Natural Health, covered “herb beat,” wrote & edited herb articles, 2000-2002
- Freelance Writer for local newspapers: Derry News, Portsmouth Herald, York Weekly 1999-2003
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, University of New Hampshire, Magna Cum Laude, 1999
- Intern, Sun Journal Sunday, 1998
Professional Credentials & Affiliations
- Registered Herbalist, Professional Member & School Member of the American Herbalists Guild
- Certified Clinical Herbalist, Southwest School of Botanical Medicine
- Certified Flower Essence Practitioner, Lichenwood Herbals
- Former President & Founder, New Hampshire Herbal Network Chapter of the American Herbalist Guild (NHHN-AHG)
- Co-founder, Member & Former Coordinator, Concord Co-op Wellness Educators
- Partner in Education of the United Plant Savers
- Academic Member of the American Botanical Council
- Selected as one of the Union Leader's 40 Under Forty, 2016
- Silver Nautilus Book Award Winner For Health & Healing/Wellness 2016
As an Herbalist
Maria has been working with herbs for nearly 20 years and been formally educated by the country's top herbalists.
As a Journalist
Maria specializes in holistic health writing and editing. She is a former editor for Natural Health and a regular contributor for publications including Herb Quarterly, Remedies Magazine, and the Associated Press. Locally, she is worked as editor the NOFA-NH and the Concord Co-op newsletters. Her first book, Body into Balance: An Herbal Guide to Holistic Self Care, is due out with Storey Publishing in early 2016.
Wintergreen Botanicals, LLC
(Bear Brook SP)
By appointment only.
For Media & Organizations:
Please feel free to use the following and/or anything off this website to promote Maria and her practice or classes.
Maria's Short Bio
Clinical Herbalist Maria Noel Groves, RH (AHG) runs Wintergreen Botanicals, nestled in the pine forests of New Hampshire. Her business is devoted to education and empowerment via classes, health consultations, and writing with the foundational belief that good health grows in nature. Maria’s a registered professional herbalist with the American Herbalists Guild and has completed studies at the Southwest School of Botanical Medicine and Rosemary Gladstar’s Sage Mountain. She is the author of the bestselling, award-winning Body into Balance: An Herbal Guide to Holistic Self Care and the new Grow Your Own Herbal Remedies. Learn more about Maria and herbs at www.WintergreenBotanicals.com.
For more information about Maria and herbs in general, visit www.WintergreenBotanicals.com
You may use any photo from this website, with credit, click here for press-quality photos, or pull from the Wintergreen Botanicals Facebook Page photos. All photos by Maria Noël Groves/Wintergreen Botanicals, LLC unless otherwise noted on the credits page (for this website) or in the description of the photo (on Facebook).